Our farm walks schedule for May-October 2021 is listed below. We are opening bookings on a phased basis. Please check the month or weeks leading up to the walk you are interested in for clarification and booking. Or click on the below links and join the relevant notification list – you will then be notified when the bookings are open. If a walk is sold out you can join a waiting list to be informed if additional spaces become available.
These farm walks are an opportunity for the Farming For Nature farmers to showcase their contribution to nature and good farming practices on their land. The walks are €10 to attend and you have to register in advance as spaces are limited. This is a not-for-profit initiative and all monies received will be circulated back into the farming community.
WHAT ARE THE FARM WALKS:
- This will be a 2.5 hour (approximately) visit to the farm and will include a walk around with the farmer/farm family, a look at some of the habitats and species present, as well as the livestock and/or crops, and a discussion with the farmer about how he/she/they manage the land in support of nature.
- Depending on the national restrictions, numbers will either be restricted to 15 or 25, so in order to get a place you have to book beforehand through our booking system then you will receive exact details of where to meet etc. This will be opened up at least a month prior to the walk.
- These walks are for farmers and people with an interest in farming for nature. They are meant to be an interactive knowledge exchange between people with a real interest in farming and nature. They are not suitable for children, or for people/groups looking for an ‘organised walk’ in the countryside.
- These walks are non-profit but a booking fee is necessary to minimise the frustrating level of no-shows. It costs €10 to register and all funds are circulated back into the farming community.
- Please wear suitable footwear for uneven and potentially muddy conditions.
- We would ask that you please respect these farmers, their land and livestock when visiting. Dogs are not welcome. You will be turned away if you arrive with one.
Click on the farmer’s name below to find out a little more about the featured farmer and their farm system. Click below to BOOK or join the WAITING LIST for the walk you wish to join. If you join the waiting list you will be notified when bookings are open. Bookings are on a first come, first served basis (the waiting list is not a booking).
PLEASE NOTE: We may have to change the time of the walks closer to the time to accommodate Covid-19 restrictions and the farmers schedule.
8th MAY 2-4.30PM Michael Hickey Co.Tipperary CANCELLED
15th MAY 2-4.30PM Mark Hurst Co.Kildare Rescheduled to 17th July (see below)
22nd MAY 2-4.30PM Andrew Bergin Co.Kildare BOOKINGS CLOSED
5th JUNE 2-4.30PM Stephen Morrison Co.Kildare BOOKINGS CLOSED
12th JUNE 2-4.30PM Pat Lalor Co.Westmeath BOOKINGS CLOSED
19th JUNE 2-4.30PM Trevor Harris Co.Kildare BOOKINGS CLOSED
23rd JUNE 11am-1.30PM Irish Seed Savers Co.Clare BOOKINGS CLOSED
26th JUNE 2-4.30pm Thomas & Claire O’Connor Co.Kerry BOOKINGS CLOSED
3rd JULY 2-4.30PM Thomas Fouhy Co.Cork BOOKINGS CLOSED
10th JULY 11-1.30PM Mervyn Auchmuty Co.Roscommon BOOKINGS CLOSED
11th JULY 2-4.30PM Mimi Crawford Co.Tipperary BOOKINGS CLOSED
17th JULY 2-4.30PM Mark Hurst Co.Kildare BOOKINGS CLOSED
17th JULY 2-4.30PM Jim Cronin Co.Clare CANCELLED
24th JULY 2-4.30pm Thomas & Claire O’Connor Co.Kerry BOOKINGS CLOSED
7th AUGUST 2-4.30pm Sinead Moran Co.Mayo BOOKINGS CLOSED
14th AUGUST 11am-1.30pm John McHugh Co.Laois BOOKINGS CLOSED
21st AUGUST 2-4.30 Bridget Murphy Co.Sligo BOOKINGS CLOSED
28th AUGUST 2-4.30pm Kate Egan Co.Westmeath BOOKINGS CLOSED
4th SEPTEMBER 2-4.30pm Ailbhe Gerrard Co.Tipperary BOOKINGS CLOSED
11th SEPTEMBER 2-4.30pm Donna Mullen Co.Meath BOOKINGS CLOSED
25th SEPTEMBER 2-4.30pm Kate Egan Co.Westmeath CANCELLED
3rd OCTOBER 2-4.30PM Mimi Crawford Co.Tipperary CANCELLED
Farming For Nature would like to thank the farmers for their generosity in hosting these farm walks.
These events have been jointly supported by Department of Agriculture, Food and Marine and the National Parks and Wildlife Service.