Our provisional farm walks schedule for May-October 2021 is listed below. We are opening bookings on a phased basis. Please check the month or weeks leading up to the walk you are interested in for clarification and booking. Or click on the below links and join the relevant waiting list – you will then be notified when the bookings are open.
These farm walks are an opportunity for the Farming For Nature farmers to showcase their contribution to nature and good farming practices on their land. The walks are €10 to attend and you have to register in advance as spaces are limited. This is a not-for-profit initiative and all monies received will be circulated back into the farming community.
WHAT ARE THE FARM WALKS:
- This will be a 2.5 hour (approximately) visit to the farm and will include a walk around with the farmer/farm family, a look at some of the habitats and species present, as well as the livestock and/or crops, and a discussion with the farmer about how he/she/they manage the land in support of nature.
- Depending on the national restrictions, numbers will either be restricted to 15 or 25, so in order to get a place you have to book beforehand through our booking system then you will receive exact details of where to meet etc. This will be opened up at least a month prior to the walk.
- These walks are for farmers and people with an interest in farming for nature. They are meant to be an interactive knowledge exchange between people with a real interest in farming and nature. They are not suitable for children, or for people/groups looking for an ‘organised walk’ in the countryside.
- These walks are non-profit but a booking fee is necessary to minimise the frustrating level of no-shows. It costs €10 to register and all funds are circulated back into the farming community.
- Please wear suitable footwear for uneven and potentially muddy conditions.
- We would ask that you please respect these farmers, their land and livestock when visiting. Dogs are not welcome. You will be turned away if you arrive with one.
Click on the farmer’s name below to find out a little more about the featured farmer and their farm system. Click below to BOOK or join the WAITING LIST for the walk you wish to join. If you join the waiting list you will be notified when bookings are open. Bookings are on a first come, first served basis (the waiting list is not a booking).
PLEASE NOTE: We may have to change the time of the walks closer to the time to accommodate Covid-19 restrictions and the farmers schedule.
8th MAY 2-4.30PM Michael Hickey Co.Tipperary CANCELLED
15th MAY 2-4.30PM Mark Hurst Co.Kildare TO BE RESCHEDULED
3rd OCTOBER 2-4.30PM Mimi Crawford Co.Tipperary CANCELLED
Farming For Nature would like to thank the farmers for their generosity in hosting these farm walks.
These events have been jointly supported by Department of Agriculture, Food and Marine and the National Parks and Wildlife Service.